Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dressing up my kitchen table

I have made cloth napkins for everyday meals for many years, but I've never used high-quality fabric for myself. On a recent trip to Pieceful Heart, armed with a generous gift certificate, I splurged on good fabric to replenish my currently tattered napkin supply. When I got home, I thought, "And those fat quarters I bought at the retreat from FunQuilts' 'Wild Bunch' line--they'd make great napkins too!" I didn't have a quilt in mind when I bought the fabric--just couldn't resist. And now I can see it on my kitchen table regularly.

Even though I love the look of the wide hem and mitered corner that Gini demo'd at the retreat, I don't think I can wean myself from the quick-and-dirty hemming on these napkins. I just eyeball a 1/4" turn under (turning under once and then again), and then I topstitch all around. Some corners are neater than others, but I never notice them once they're done. I don't bother ironing these either--just smoothe them out when they come out of the dryer. Here's a couple of good corners:
Size: I usually cut these 17-1/2" square, so I get two out of a half-yard. My sister, a regular recipient, likes hers larger, so I cut hers 21".

1 comment: